A World Without Sound

Victoria Velasco, Staff

Hearing only minimal sounds, deaf student Jose Uresti, is able to understand what is being said, learn what is being taught out loud, and can even communicate to others as if sound was not important. Growing up, Uresti has gone to schools attending ASL classes, regular classes, and has been apart of clubs, such as NHS.

“My favorite classes were ASL and algebra.” said Uresti.”I liked teaching others to sign because it made me happy. Algebra was my favorite subject because I loved solving numbers and equations.”

All deaf students were given an extra day to finish assignments. Uresti had an interpreter that would follow him to each class so they could help him understand what other people were saying.

“It made me nervous to not have an interpreter when others were talking to me,” said Uresti. “But I tried my hardest to always understand what was being said.”

With a cochlear, he is able to hear some sounds and can speak.

“I was taught how to pronounce words in elementary,” Said Uresti. “But I got the courage to actually speak to others during high school.”

He was born deaf and was taught how to sign when he was three years old. He had a sister who is also deaf.

“Having a sister who was deaf made things a little easier for me,” said Uresti. “It was easy for me to speak to her and it gave me comfort knowing I wasn’t alone in the family.”

According to Uresti, being deaf had its advantages considering he didn’t need to hear words to understand things.

“I never felt out of place because I had people who were always there for me and I tried staying positive,” said Uresti. “I liked that I could sleep in silent and had my own deaf culture.”

His goal was to be accepted to Gallaudet University to study in education and leadership. He dreamed to become a teacher or principal at a deaf school because he wanted other deaf students to succeed in the future. He would help his deaf friends in school work because everyone was at a different educational level.

“If I could tell people one thing about being deaf,” said Uresti. “It would be that deaf students are still capable of being intelligent and knowledgeable.”